Cayon High School teachers demand update on test results for mold contamination; plan to continue staying away
Approximately thirty teachers from the Cayon High School refused to enter the property yesterday, Monday 26, contrary to directives from the Ministry of Education, as they demanded an update on the conditions of the school, in the wake of reports of mold contamination.
The teachers are threatening to repeat their actions on Thursday, August 29, if they have not been adequately updated on tests that were reportedly done only last week, despite the long summer break.
Teachers at the Cayon High School were notified of a mold problem at the institution in March of this year, however, they only made aware of the Ministry of Education doing tests last week.
It has also been revealed that approximately 15 persons- teachers and students- from the school have gotten back test results that indicate very high mold content in their systems.
Teachers have expressed an eagerness to return to work but have indicated much concern in relation to their health.
“A teacher’s health is their only wealth,” one teacher, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
Ironically, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education Vincent Hodge, while giving an earlier address reportedly said, “Teachers let us unite and stand up for our rights.”
The Cayon High School teachers are heeding the advice.
In May this year, teachers at the Cayon High School signed a petition to force the government to take swift action in relation to the unhealthy situation at the educational institution.
A number of government offices and structures have been plagued with mold contamination. As a result some offices have had to struggle with regular relocation.
Public schools are set to reopen next Monday, September 2.