West Indies outcast Kieron Pollard said he was targeting a return to the national team for the World Cup after smashing a whirlwind 83 in the Indian Premier League.
Pollard, whose knock off 31 balls helped Mumbai Indians beat Kings XI Punjab on the last ball on Wednesday, said he hoped his problems with the West Indies board were in the past.
The 31-year-old, who last played an ODI in 2016, said he was “blacklisted” under the previous regime but was hopeful of a recall after last month’s ousting of controversial board president Dave Cameron.
“There has been a lot of turmoil in West Indies cricket over the last couple of years. We have seen in the last couple of weeks there’s a change,” said Pollard.
“The most I can do every time I step on the cricket field is try to put runs on the board,” he added, when asked about the West Indies’ World Cup squad.
“There’s people there who have the job to select and whatever and let’s see how that goes. As I said, I’m 31 years, Chris Gayle is still playing, he’s 39, and he’s whacking it all around.”
Pollard’s blitz, which included three fours and 10 sixes, came after big innings by Punjab batsmen Lokesh Rahul and Gayle.
Pollard said it could be the start of a fresh era for West Indies cricket under new chief Ricky Skerritt, the former team manager.
“We have a new chairman of selectors, there’s a new president of the cricket board, and as I said you take it as it comes,” said Pollard.