Police have dismissed reports that an unnamed government minister had been implicated in a kidnapping that has resulted in two men being charged with the offence, in St. Lucia.
Acting Corporal Anne Joseph told a news conference that when the report had been made to the police station in Gros Islet, north of here, last week, there was no mention of any adverse or untoward behaviour on the part of any minister of government or Member of Parliament.
“No one was reported in this matter as having done anything untoward, anything illegal. What we can say is if this individual has any further details that he wishes to offer the police he is free to make a report at the Gros Islet Police station and that will be investigated,” Joseph said.
She told reporters that in the statement to the police the individual never made mention of any minister’s involvement.
The police statement follows media reports that a man had been kidnapped, taken to an isolated farm and beaten after being accused of committing a burglary at a woman’s house.
Joseph said that two men had since been charged and granted EC$15 000 and EC$10 000 bail respectively.
She said the report regarding the kidnapping had been made to the police last week Monday.
“We’ve received information that it was published that the matter was not taken down formally as a report and that is not correct,” Joseph said, noting that was not the case and that an investigator had immediately been assigned to the case.
“Subsequently a statement was recorded from the victim of that matter,” Joseph said, adding that the individual took part in two identification procedures after which the two arrests were made.
She said one person was detained last Wednesday and the other the following day. The two men have been charged with offences related to kidnapping.